Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Thing #16

When I was going through the examples given on the Library2Play site I found one thing that worried me. Most things were not dated or if they were they were old-2006-2008. Are wikis a thing of the past and people are no longer using them? Has the fad faded? Am I that far behind that I can identify that things are old? or not current? It's like wikis were the latest and greatest and everyone set one up and spent a lot of time setting up this great tool but no one had added to it in 2 years. When your talking about technology I expect to see at least 2009 or 2010 even if it isn't the same month we are in now, it is summer and school is out.

I like the idea of wikis and will use one for sure. My district just set up a wiki for the librarians to contribute to so we can collaborate on lessons and such. We need to standardize the teaching in the library from school to school and we are going to use the wiki to communicate more effectively. I am excited that our district librarians are going to have a wiki to collaborate. We never seem to have enough time to share the good things we are doing in our libraries at our monthly meetings.

How will I use this in the library? I could set one up for my library and have teachers, or students, post their research projects that they create. It could be a way for the students to store their project while they are creating and editing. Students can currently save to the server at school but working on it at home would not be possible and many students (grades 2-5) do not have the pen drives to take to and from school. This way the students could have access to it at home. Students could collaborate on a project in their own homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment