Thursday, August 5, 2010

Thing #20

YouTube
While YouTube is a good source of videos, for those of us with less than high speed Internet, it can be a drain on bandwidth. I understand now why many districts block YouTube. There were many instructional videos that would be suitable for most high school or university teaching. There was even some videos for elementary. The majority of the videos are for the sole purpose of entertainment. If you have a lot of time and bandwidth on your hands you could spend hours, days, weeks, months, and possibly years on YouTube and never repeat a video.



Teacher Tube
Teacher tube was not kind to the bandwidth either but I believe the information was better. Teacher Tube seemed to have a different purpose. While YouTube was entertaining, teacher Tube is a better source when looking for materials to supplement our lessons. I like that they not only have a way to upload videos but you can easily download them to use so you don't have to stream them. They also have a place for you to upload and download documents.

Teacher Tube is more organized, social, and overall more complete. It better meets the needs of teachers and education. It has a way for them to find anything associated with education. Blogs, groups to chat, videos, documents, jobs, or things to purchase like on Craig's list. You might say Teacher Tube is YouTube 2.0. It is better and worth more of my time. I was very impressed with Teacher Tube and will continue to visit when I find myself in need. I just may have to go to Starbucks for a latte and some bandwidth.

Here is the video I found on Teacher Tube about the Dewey Decimal System which I teach to all my students each year. So I am always looking new ways to explain it to students. Besides it was cool and fun to watch.



1 comment:

  1. Your clip art visuals are great! I am now officially inspired to remember the impact of the visual.

    ReplyDelete